Jenny

Monday, January 4, 2010

Trapped a short story

I have a mouse in my car.
The evidence
is shredded aluminum foil
from a sandwich wrapper
I threw on the floor.
She told me to set a trap.
The thought of killing the critter
disturbs me. She said I can do it.

She was long ago desensitized
to such adventures, living among mountain lion,
bear, skunk and mice.
Between traps and cats,
her mouse patrol has command.
She said, "One time a mouse was caught
by his foot, left dragging the trap around."
She emptied the trap outside
then watched the mouse go in circles
before disappearing into the brush.

I have a city mouse.
It travels around town with me.
I have not seen the mouse.
What if I do while driving?
Will I scream and crash?
What if it dies in the trap?
What if it is caught and does not die?
Do I go to the full service gas station
to have it removed? Do I ask the attendant
to check my fluids and the trap?
My life is so stupid.
Still, I better get a trap.

1 comment:

  1. This one is a real thriller... loved the suspense. Glad the mouse lived.

    ReplyDelete